Mold can threaten your home’s structure and your belongings, and compromise your family’s health. Mold is easier to remove when you detect it early. Pay attention to these signs of mold in the home and address them swiftly.
A musty smell is often the first sign of mold in the home that you will notice. When mold begins to grow, it creates microbial volatile organic compounds, which are the cause of this odor. The smell is similar to wet cardboard or damp socks. People often smell mold before any visible signs are apparent.
Signs of Mold in the Home From Previous Water Damage
Water damage is likely to cause mold when it is not cleaned up promptly and thoroughly. When water soaks porous items in your home, like carpet, upholstery, ceiling tiles, and drywall, it is difficult to completely dry these materials. Professionals recommend removing and replacing these items to prevent mold from growing in the home.
Indoor humidity creates an environment conducive to mold. Purchase a hygrometer from a hardware store and monitor your indoor humidity levels. You should aim for a humidity level of 50% or lower in your house. If your hygrometer is showing higher levels, set up some dehumidifiers around your home.
Streaks and Stains are Signs of Mold in the Home
Mold growth often appears as dark streaks and stains on surfaces. Common places to find mold are in the grout of showers and tubs and behind and under leaky appliances. It may look black, brown, green, or even pink.
Condensation on windows, doors, and plumbing pipes means that excess moisture could cause mold to grow in the home. Address condensation on doors and windows by sealing up cracks and improving the weatherstripping. Have a plumber inspect any pipes that have moisture on the outside of them. A dehumidifier will also help with this issue.
If you suspect that your home has a mold problem, don’t ignore it. Mold in the home will only get worse over time. Address these signs promptly to protect your home and family.